Did you notice a lot of giant cobwebs this morning?
Today is Travel Action Day and everyone in St Molaga’s had the opportunity to create and present a display in the school hall for other pupils, parents and visitors from the Gaelscoil. On display, our class had our Viking Ships, our mosaic transport display and acrostic poems. Check out a picture of our display and our presenters below.
We did a science experiment for National Tree Week to show how water rises from the roots of the tree right up to the leaves at the top! To do this we used celery stalks, a container of water and some red food colouring. We added a few drops of red food colouring to the water container and placed the celery stalks in the coloured water overnight. when we examined the celery the next morning, we found that the leaves at the top of the stalks had turned red in places. Also, when we cut through the stalk, we could see that there was red in the veins of the stalk.
Why does this happen I hear you ask – Well, this happens because water in the leaves evaporates in to the surrounding air. When this happens more water is drawn up form the roots, through the stem, to replace the water that has been lost through evaporation. The water travels up in veins. Water droplets can stick together and the veins are very narrow,so the water forms a column that doesn’t break and can be pulled right up to the top.
Finally, we have several budding authors in the class who were tasked with writing their very own story books! See some of the children below with their books.
We are conducting an experiment to see how plants bring water up their stems to their leaves. Leaves can’t absorb water directly so they need to bring the water up the stem from the soil to the very top of the plant. We are using celery (which has a long stem) and coloured water so that we can observe what happens. We’ll post more pictures tomorrow.
We made string telephones this week. We got plastic cups and put a hole in the end to put the string through. It was very hard to put the string through the hole. We tied the string around a paper clip and put the paper clip on the inside of the cup – this is so the string wouldn’t come out of the hole.
Next we talked through the telephones. The sound traveled from one cup to the other along the string. We learned it only worked if the string was pulled tight.
We got to go outside to test our string telephones. When we got used to using one cup phone each, we started to cross over with other people so we could try to hear the others. It worked if up to four telephones were crossed but when lots of people crossed wires, we couldn’t hear as well. This is because the sound was split up between all the wires.
To celebrate engineers week we were set the task of building towers using spaghetti and marshmallows. We had to try and make a tower that was at least 30cm tall and could support a chocolate egg. It was quite hard but a lot of fun!!
Make a quiz game with a buzzer that beeps to show the right answer.
Instructions: Write the questions on the left side of a piece of cardboard (e.g. names of countries or football teams ) , and the answers (e.g. corresponding capital cities or football players, etc) on the right. Muddle them up so that each question is next to a wrong answer. Attach a paper clip to each question and answer. Turn the cardboard over and connect each question up to the right answer with a piece of wire, looping the wire round the paper clip, making sure there is a connection. With some more wire, join the battery to the buzzer . Join some more wire to the other side of the battery and the other side of the buzzer. Leave the ends of both these wires free.
Playing the Game: Ask a friend to touch one of the paper clips next to a question and the other loose wire to the paper clip next to the answer which he/she thinks is the right one. If the answer is correct, the circuit will be complete and so the buzzer will beep.
We used a process known as Chromatography to separate the different colour chemicals contained in a range of colouring markers. We placed colour dots at the end of a piece of filter paper and then placed the filter paper in a small amount of water. The water separated the colours contained in the ink and some colours moved right up to the top of the paper. The ink dot made by permanent markers didn’t separate at all. The ink dots made using ‘washable’ markers almost completely disappeared.
We hung up our bug boxes today. We made them to encourage bugs and bees into our school grounds. We learned that encouraging bugs into the grounds is good for the environment and for the plants and animals already in the school garden.
A number of weeks ago we made working torches and entered them into an ESB competition. The torches had switches and we made them in plastic bottles. Today our prizes arrived. We won t-shirts, rulers, pens, badges and pens. Thank you ESB.